The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission Regulatory Approach outlines how we apply our regulatory capabilities and resources to ensure the quality and safety of services delivered to NDIS participants. It aligns with our 2022-2027 Strategic Plan.
The Regulatory Approach explains our three regulatory approaches designed to meet our regulatory intent, opportunities, and considerations.
There is also an easy read version of the Regulatory Approach and a printable version of the easy read.
Our Regulatory focus
Our Regulatory Approach includes six elements:
- Regulatory intent
- Regulatory focus considerations
- Regulating at multiple levels
- Regulatory approaches
- Regulatory levers and tools
Our regulatory opportunities
Our Regulatory Approach considers and responds to five key opportunities to strengthen delivery of the NDIS system.
- Providers and workers
Our regulatory considerations
Our regulatory considerations align with our areas of focus as detailed in the Strategic Plan:
- the rights of people with disability
- quality providers and workers
- Thriving, diverse markets.
Our regulatory approaches
Our regulatory approaches include working at multiple levels of quality and safeguarding. These include high intensity responses, targeted campaigns and regulatory activities. We aim to direct substantial effort into targeted campaigns to improve quality and safety to reduce the effort required for high-intensity responses and regulatory activities over time. We do this by:
- Strengthening system approaches and culture.
- Providing standards, training and oversight.
- Establishing provider controls.
- Monitoring individuals’ capabilities, capacity, decision making and actions.
- Conducting immediate intervention.